While in use since 1851, the Port of Redwood City was founded by City Charter in 1937. As one of the oldest ports on the West Coast, the Port of Redwood City honors its historic roots.
Gold Rush fever was sweeping Northern California, and such expansion demanded lumber. Felling trees was easy; the cost and difficulty lay in moving them down the mountainsides and wagon hauling them overland to San Francisco. When it was discovered that a creek running through the Peninsula emptied directly into a naturally deep channel of water, logging companies quickly made use of this valuable natural resource in Redwood City as a water highway.
Throughout the years, many commodities have passed through the Port docks from cement and food commodities to salt and WWII vehicles. The port quickly became successful and profitable, and has remained so for most of its over 80 years serving the region. Port operations includes 120-acre management of industrial and commercial land.
The Port creates its own income to support operations and functions without any tax funds. As a revenue focused business, the Port is a fiduciary steward of resources and an international foreign trade organization.